A British private security firm hired to protect the oil
installations of post-invasion Iraq is being sued for causing
the
death of an American soldier.
The case against the Erinys security firm, which reportedly has
close
ties to the former Iraqi exile Ahmed Chalabi, is believed to be
the
first brought against a private security contractor operating in
Iraq
by a member of the US military.
It comes at a time of rising unease about the actions of
private
security firms in Iraq after 17 Iraqi civilians were shot dead
in
Baghdad by Blackwater guards travelling with a convoy of US
diplomats.
The suit against Erinys, filed last week in Houston, was brought
by
the father of Specialist Christopher Monroe, who was struck by
an
Erinys convoy on October 25 2005. He was on guard duty in
southern
Iraq when he was struck and killed by a speeding Erinys vehicle,
the
suit alleges.
"The family just didn't have the answers that they were
seeking,"
said Tobias Cole, a lawyer for the family. "For example, why
did
their son die on a non-combat mission? There was no reason to
have
extreme driving, no reason to drive without headlights, no reason
to
drive at speed through a parked convoy."
Monroe, 19, was the third generation of his family to serve in the
US
military and was an eager recruit. He enlisted before
finishing
secondary school at the age of 17. The lawsuit alleges the
four
vehicles in the Erinys convoy were driving at an estimated speed
of
up to 80mph on a dark road using only their parking lights.
The
Erinys vehicles were not under fire, and they were not carrying
high-
profile passengers.
Monroe's right leg was sheared off by the force of the collision,
and
he was thrown 40ft into the air.
Erinys employees, who were driving in a four-vehicle convoy,
had
passed through two US checkpoints moments before Monroe was hit,
and
they had been warned that more US troops were ahead, the suit
said.
But it accuses the Erinys team of ignoring the warnings, and
driving
so fast that they failed to see Monroe or the five-tonne truck he
was
guarding. "Although extreme driving manoeuvres may be appropriate
for
private security contractors at certain times, driving recklessly
at
a high rate of speed with no headlights through a parked US
convoy
after being specifically warned is not," the law suit said.
At the time of Monroe's death, Erinys had been providing security
to
the US Army Corps of Engineers.
The company denies any wrongdoing and says it was cleared by a
US
military investigation. "It was a very tragic accident for
which
Erinys and its employees have been thoroughly exonerated,"
a
spokesman for the firm told the Guardian yesterday.
The Monroe family's law suit comes at a time when the Bush
administration is under growing pressure at home to rein in
private
security firms and the lucrative business of guarding US
diplomats
and troops. The Iraqi government last week revoked the legal
immunity
under which Blackwater and the other firms had operated.
In Afghanistan, meanwhile, the authorities stepped up their
crackdown
on private security contractors yesterday, raiding the premises of
a
British-based firm, Olympus, in Kabul. It was the eighth
private
security firm to be raided and closed in a month, but the
first
foreign firm.
Erinys was the subject of a great deal of attention in the summer
of
2003 when the firm was awarded an $80m (£39m), 18-month contract
to
provide security for Iraq's oil refineries and pipelines. The
firm
created a new entity called Erinys Iraq.
Erinys has also been caught up in controversy closer to home.
Shortly
before his murder, the former Russian security services
agent,
Alexander Litvinenko, visited the London offices of Erinys where
traces of polonium 210 were found.
The first recruits of the 14,000-strong oil protection force
raised
by Erinys Iraq were members of the Iraqi Free Forces, the
US-trained
militia that was headed by Ahmed Chalabi, an Iraqi exile who
was
America's protege in the run-up to the invasion. Members of
Mr
Chalabi's inner circle were among the founding partners of
Erinys
Iraq. Erinys now has about 1,000 employees in Iraq, the
spokesman
said. Most are UK nationals.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
|